12 November 2009

Where in the World is Wadi Rum?



Yep...that's actually a place on my tentative itinerary!  Wadi Rum is the largest wadi (valley) in Jordon and the place where T.E. Lawrence based his operations during the Arab Revolt of 1917-18. 

So far, I've had a few mixed responses to my announcement of taking a year off.  Some people seemed surprised at the thought that I might actually want to spend a year on the road.  Others reminisced about their own travels from the days of their youth :)!  But "where on earth are you going to?" seemed to be the basic question on everyone's mind. 
I write my plans with this old Spanish Proverb in the back of my mind.  "If you want to make God laugh...tell him your plans!"  And yet, I truly believe in the other old adage, "Plan as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today"!  So here are my tentative travel plans which of course will remain flexible!

Month 1:  My plans for Cambodia have now changed.  I plan to start my trip in Cambodia volunteering for a month with a partner of Real Gap.  The program I have signed up for is to work at a Cambodian Orphanage and the Cambodian Children Support Foundation.  I will be teaching English to the kids here as well as helping out with various farm activities.  The kids live in the school and aim to be sustainable by growing their own food, capturing their own water supply and keeping various farm animals such as cows and chooks. 
image

Month 2:  I plan to then join an overland trip around Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos and perhaps do some trekking in Northern Thailand for the next month and half.  


image 

Month 4: I plan to visit Sri Lanka, spend time with friends and family, travel around and be completely flexible as to what I do and where I go.

 

I plan to spend a few days in Dubai before heading off to Africa....

Month 5:  I plan to volunteer in South Africa in a project based in St Lucia that deals with Wildlife Photography & Conservation.  The volunteers are involved in creating a complete database of wildlife photographs and birds as well as raising awareness in the local community about the importance of conversation and the local wildlife.   St Lucia Wetland is South Africa's first Natural World Heritage Site.  
Month 6:  I plan to then volunteer on a project which is based in Namibia and deals with Cheetah Conservation.  The volunteers assist at a reserve dedicated to the conservation of cheetahs and other big cats. The activities include essential maintenance duties in the mornings such as dam and bridge maintenance and further exciting activities in the afternoons such as tracking leopards and cheetahs, and getting involved in the cheetah welfare program.  This is the largest big cat conservation program in the world! 


Month 7: I plan to join an overland trip that will take me through Zambia, Malawi, Zanzibar, Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda.    



 


Month 8: This will be my Middle East Adventure.  The plan is to fly up to Cairo and travel overland Egypt, Jordon, Syria and Turkey.
Middle East Adventure  

Then fly up to London to catch up with my cousin before taking wing for South America...

Month 9:   My ultimate dream...to visit the only continent I yet have not travelled to...Antarctica! 
AntSthGeorgFalklands082


 

Month 10: I plan to make travel through Patagonia on an overland trip through Chile & Argentina  

Santiago to Ushuaia


Month 11:  Before finally making my way back to Australia via New Zealand where I hope to catch up with some dear friends! 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay, first to comment on the blog!...and your plans. I'm so happy that you have detailed your plans and put some maps in too, it all makes more sense to me now! Quietly jealous, it all sounds so awesome. Enjoy! Emma

manel said...

May the road rise up to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sunshine be warm upon your face,
And untill your travels are over
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
Mum