1 August 2010

A Postcard from Johannesburg

P7250324

I am so excited to be back in Africa!  Without a doubt this is my favourite continent. 

There is something in the air that really excites me about Africa.  Is it the smiles on the faces of the people here, the incredible wildlife that is just waiting to be discovered, the rhythm of this continent or the colours around me…I am not sure.  I am just happy to be back here. 

And what a difference a few years make.  When I first arrived in Jo’berg back in 2007 the airport was under construction and the place was a bit of a mess.  It looks fantastic now and still has reminders of the World Cup that has just finished.  The airport appears quite professional and I move through the customs and immigration quite swiftly.  

At the Jo’berg airport you have the option of taking either a regular metered taxi or an unmetered taxi run by private operators.  The unmetered taxis are cheaper over longer distances but I remember that on my first arrival I had been quite nervous about taking one of them and even more nervous when my driver had ushered me to the basement of the airport.  This time around I felt quite at home.  I knew the drill.  

As it turned around, the hotel I had booked online was almost an hours drive from the airport.  However, the time passed quickly as I found lots in common with Mduduzi, my driver that night!   He has given up his career in HR to chase his dreams and has started up his own business in the transport industry.  He does local tours and sometimes does the airport run.

Our conversation covers many topics from the recently concluded World Cup, to local ground water issues, politics and religion and our own personal lives.  I have made another one of those instant connections with a perfect stranger and I find it quite amazing. 

My hotel turns out to be in a really lovely part of town.  It is actually a lovely resort called Misty Hills in a lovely area called Muldersdrift and my room, with its thatched roof and sandstone floor is just my cup of tea. 

I am excited to spend a night here and more excited when I wake up to the sounds of Africa!  I leave that evening for my month of volunteering in St Lucia.  Mduduzi comes back to pick me up and we spend another hour chatting as we travel to the airport.  I think I may have just made my first new friend in Africa!

P7250336 The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart". ~ Helen Keller

No comments: