14 December 2010

A Blessed Christmas & Happy New Year!

Greetings from Ushuaia & the tip of South America!  The snow is lightly falling as I sit down to write my Christmas message, snug in the warmth of my couch in the hotel reception.  I am here in Argentina, in one of the most remote places on earth, about to embark on my ultimate dream; an adventure of a lifetime!  In 2 days time I will shortly board the ship that will take me to my final continent, Antarctica, where I will spend a White Christmas and see in the New Year.  I would then have accomplished my goal of spending time on all seven continents before I turned 50!

When I reflect back on 2010, I think it has been one of the happiest years of my life.  Most of you have followed my journey via my blog, so I don’t have to recount where I’ve been and what I’ve done. 

I am incredibly thankful for this experience.  The amazing places I discovered will forever live in my memory.  The wonderful friendships I forged will be continued into the future.  I am also grateful to the many local people who shared their stories with me, along this journey.  The interactions I had with the people I met along the way enabled this experience to be all the more special. 

Unnamed

I wanted this year to be  one where I challenged myself to live outside my comfort zone.  I have certainly achieved that and in so doing discovered an inner sense of peace as well as a confidence to know, I can do whatever I set my mind to. 

I want to thank all of you, my friends and family for keeping in touch with me and for your support.  You have been there for me during the hard times and come along with me on my journey during this, my special year.  I have appreciated your emails, the messages on my wall, the numerous Skype chats as well as the comments on my blog.  I have appreciated your feedback and am grateful there were people out there who travelled this journey with me and enjoyed my writing.

The story continues and I hope you will stay tuned.  I am not sure what internet facilities I will have on the boat.  If there are none, it may be 3 weeks before you see the next post.  I will do my best to make Antarctica come alive for you.

I would like to say have a wonderful holiday season with your near and dear ones.  Thank you for the messages I have already received.  I hope to catch up with all of you in the New Year.  Do drop me a line when you have time.  I love hearing from all of you.

Merry Christmas.  Happy New Year

PC050020

Travelbug62

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

have an awesome time down south Nil, its an incredibly special place!! Travel safe, have a beautiful Xmas and NY and see you soon in 2011! Love Emma, Harvey, Rosco and Carmen

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year's Nil. I jealously await your recount of your time in Antarctic. Travel safe and we'll see you soon. All our love Ruth, Eamon and Ronan xxx.