14 December 2010

A Postcard from London!

I arrive in London and bring a few rays of sunshine with me, a rarity in these parts during winter.  I am here to spend a few days with my cousin, Sushie, (or Sue as she is known here) who I have not seen JPEGS 2010 12 12 London-1001 in years.  It is also an opportunity for me to get to know her husband Shanil, who I had only met briefly when he visited Australia some years ago.  Sushie and I aren’t quite sure how long its been, but it’s probably more than 15 years since we last met in Sri Lanka. 

Sushie is now a qualified doctor in the field of Chemical Pathology.  She has taken a couple of days off work to spend with me and show me around!

It had been snowing in London last week, so I am lucky to find a bit of sunshine to welcome me.  Northern European winters aren’t exactly my cup of tea.  I arrive on Thursday in time for lunch, which Sushie has kindly prepared for me.

JPEGS 2010 12 12 London-1004We are excited to see each other after so long.  We tuck into our food, chat and catch up and go out for a bit of classical music in the evening.  It is a large orchestra and a nice change from anything I have done so far.  Shanil was lucky to obtain some complimentary tickets for the concert and we have an enjoyable evening, sipping wine and enjoying the music.  This is far more civilized than I’ve been in a long time!   I just wish I had my leather jacket and my nice boots :)!

Sushie has taken Friday off work so we wake up late and spend time on Skype catching up with my family before heading out to the shops.  I have a few purchases to make before my trip to Antarctica.  Saturday, is much the same.  A lazy day and a nice English Breakfast later, we do a bit more shopping before going out for a nice Indian curry feed.

The shops are crowded and I am reminded what this time of year is like at home.  Manic.  It is a bit of a culture shock to be in shopping mall and to be jostling for space with the crowds hell bent on their Christmas shopping.  I’m glad I have this year off!

My time in London just consists of food, rest, chats and shopping…just what the doctor ordered after the last few months of hectic travel. 

Sadly, my visit to London is over all too soon. Shanil and Sushie drive me to the airport and as I wave goodbye to my cousin, I realise my great Antarctic Adventure is about to begin!

JPEGS 2010 12 12 London-1003 ~ The fool wanders, a wise man travels. ~ Thomas Fuller

No comments: