3 January 2011

South Shetland Islands – AITCHO Islands (HO)

Our last landing in the Southern Ocean is in a place commonly referred to as HO Island, named after the British Hydrographic Office. 

Unfortunately, it is raining but thankfully there is JPEGS  2010 30 HO Island-4no wind.  The islands is home to chinstraps and gentoos.  I find them sitting on their chicks in   nests they have made with the little stones that litter this beach. 

We have the option of hiking but I feel I just want to ‘chill’, on my last landing in Antarctica. JPEGS  2010 30 HO Island-26 It has been a fabulous trip and I have done and seen everything and more than I could have ever hoped for.  Today, I just want to say goodbye to it all and have a peaceful communion with the gentoos. 

The gentoos are feeding their chicks as I walk past.  I watch as mum regurgitates the food and the little chick reaches inside to feed.  The JPEGS  2010 30 HO Island-30penguins are quite oblivious to our presence and it is a treat to be in a place where the wildlife is not afraid of our presence.

We have a chance to free roam today within prescribed boundaries.  This island has moss and lichen beds that must not be disturbed but on the beach, we are free to walk any where, provided we keep 5m away from the penguins.  I pick a spot and stay still, observing the wildlife around me. 

Sadly, the rain doesn’t stop and I begin to feel a little cold.  I walk up to the zodiacs and take one of the first ones back.  I’ve got some fabulous memories and photographs of this place and if I never get another chance to come back, I can be happy in the knowledge that one of my greatest dreams came true!

JPEGS  2010 30 HO Island-41 To know what you prefer, instead of humbly saying "Amen" to what the world tells you you ought to prefer, is to keep your soul alive.  ~Robert Louis Stevenson

2 comments:

C said...

I just have to let you know how fantastic your blog is. I stumbled across it only a little while ago and after reading about your Antarctic adventures, i decided to go back and start from the beginning. You've set foot in places most of only heard about and reading your blog is letting me live vicariously. So thank you for that!

travelbug62 said...

That's lovely Cameron. Thanks for that comment. It's nice to know that perfect strangers are enjoying it too! Where are you from? I am just starting the next leg of my journey..Patagonia!