2 September 2010

A Drive to Cape Point

I spend most of Tuesday on a tour to Cape Point.    It is a spectacular day for what must be one of the most dramatic coastal drives in the world, and I have done a few of them! JPEGS 2010 08 24 Cape Point-111

There are about 10 people on my tour and I make friends with Sonya, a traveller from Manly and a couple of people from the States.  Our first stop is Clifton and Camps Bay where I take pictures of the stunning rocky coastline.Crocodile CentreWe stop at Hout Bay for a boat trip to Seal Island.  Another lovely stop, we take pictures and browse the markets before boarding our boat.

Crocodile Centre

The seals are sunning themselves on the rocky outcroppings but taking pictures is quite a challenge as the seas here are incredibly choppy and I can barely keep my balance!JPEGS 2010 08 24 Cape PointThe next bit of the drive is along Chapman’s Drive.  The road hugs the coastline and the views at every corner are stunning.  We stop briefly at an Ostrich farm.  Ostrich meat is a popular red meat here and on my last visit I tried scrambled ostrich eggs, which incidentally I didn’t really relish.  One ostrich egg can feed about 25 people!JPEGS 2010 08 24 Cape Point-110We then strike another bit of good luck.  Our guide pulls over because we have just caught sight of a number of whales migrating.  I have seen this once before in Sydney but it is always magic to see whales in the wild.  They are a little further out at sea but we are thrilled and we wished we could have stayed a little longer. JPEGS 2010 08 24 Cape Point-113We have our lunch break at the Cape of Good Hope.  This is the meeting point of the Indian and Atlantic Ocean and the most south western point of the African Continent.  Crocodile Centre We lunch overlooking the oceans and marvel at the beauty of this spot and the weather in the middle of winter.  After a lovely lunch we Crocodile Centremake the trek up to the light house and stop often to check out the view points and take more pictures of this amazing landscape.

Our next stop is the Penguin Colony.  Many of the penguins are out at sea but we see a number of them sunning themselves on the rocks.JPEGS 2010 08 24 Cape Point-112We pass a number of small coastal towns before stopping at Kirstenbosch, the famous Botanical Garden of Cape Town.  Sonya and I spend about an hour walking around and browsing the sculpture garden. JPEGS 2010 08 24 Cape Point-114The gardens were our final stop.  I say goodbye to my friends for the day and know I will remember the stunning beauty of the Cape Peninsular forever.Crocodile Centre If you don't get lost, there's a chance you may never be found.  ~Author Unknown

No comments: