24 September 2010

Felix’s Story

It is my last afternoon at PAWS and Felix joins me in the common area to chat.  We have worked often together, bush chopping, fence rolling and collecting cheetah poo and now it is almost time to say goodbye.  He sits down to tell me his story…

Felix was born in a village called Musese, in Northern Namibia.  He has 3 sisters and 5 brothers  and he is #6 in what is quite a normal sized family, for rural Namibia.  He studied in the same village he was born in but when he was 10 years old a tragic accident with one of his school mates resulted in a broken left leg, that left him  in hospital for 5 years.

Once he was back on his feet, he went back to school and completed high school in 2007.  He studied in Africaans but also speaks English, his home language Nyemba, Rukwangali, Thimbukushu and Sambyu!  It is truly impressive list for someone like me who can only manage two languages but it is quite common for Africans to speak many different languages.  P9060033

After finishing high school Felix entered the police force in Otjiwarongo, (the town closest to us here at the reserve) and worked there for 8 months.  However, there were many aspects of this job that did not appeal to him including the gun culture of criminals.   Felix left the police and joined Okonjima Lodge as a contract worker. 

P9060029While there he met Clive and joined PAWS 2 years ago as one of Clive’s full time staff and has been here ever since.  Felix enjoys his job especially the aspect of meeting volunteers from all over the world.  He tells me he enjoys bush chopping and fence rolling (really?) and loves helping the volunteers when they are wilting under the Namibian sun!!

Like many Africans, Felix loves his soccer and in fact we watched him referee a game last weekend.   He faithfully attends training 3 times a week and is proud to play for the Okonjima Team as their goal keeper. 

Crocodile CentreFelix dreams of getting married one day and having a family but tells me the lady will probably be from a tribe different to his own.  Felix leads a life according to the principles of his Christian faith and refrains from drinking alcohol or smoking.  He is currently taking care of his younger siblings and his father as well as a nephew. 

Felix also dreams of owning a car one day and tells me he would like to drive a City Golf.  Felix would love to be able to drive his dad around who tragically lost a leg in a car accident that also killed his mother and injured his aunt.  His dad is 63 years old and his mum was 53 when she passed away last year.  It was a hard time for Felix and he tells me it is a struggle for him to look after his younger siblings all of whom he supports with his wage from PAWS.  This includes their schooling, food and clothing as there is no one else in the family to care for them. 

Felix is studying guiding and would love to be a guide just like his mate Rion.  He often joins me in the afternoon in the common area and studies the names of Namibian flora and fauna while I write my blog. 

P9110001

Felix’s favourite pastime is asking and being asked private questions and often after he has greeted me in the morning will ask, “ have you got a question for me?”  It has been really fun getting to know him and I wish him all the very best with his future! 

I have really enjoyed working with both Felix and Rion and will miss them when I leave PAWS.  Towards the end of our chat, Felix looks at me sadly and says, “I will never see you again”.  I have a lump in my throat and I say, “never say never, Felix.  If  I come back to Namibia, I will certainly stop by to say hello”.  He tells me that if I ever came back, he would take me back to his village for a visit.  Ah…so hard to say goodbye!

Their favourite phrases, “lovely jubbly”, “cool bananas”, “watch my back”, and “sweet job”, will resonate with me for a very long time!  Positive Vibes Felix!  Till we meet again..

P9070005 The simplest questions are the most profound.  Where were you born?  Where is your home?  Where are you going?  What are you doing?  Think about these once in a while and watch your answers change.  ~Richard Bach

No comments: