22 September 2010

The Ultimate Dream

Jayne and David are living their ultimate dream.  Driving around the world for 5 years in a 1998 Land Rover Defender, having packed in their lives and careers in England! 

www.lizzybus.com

I had often fantasised about doing this myself, so it is quite amazing to meet a couple who are in the midst of living my fantasy. 

Clive bumped into Jayne and David at the backpackers in Windhoek and invited them to camp at PAWS for a few days.  That’s how I end up spending Monday night chatting to this interesting couple.  JPEGS 2010 09 14 Cheetah Poo-5

They have just spent 13 months getting to Namibia from England, having travelled through some pretty dangerous territory in Western Africa.  They regale us over dinner with interesting stories of 4 hour border crossings and crazy adventures and the wonderful people they’ve met along the way.  They have lived on rice and beans in West Africa and David as lost 20 kilos along the way.

Having travelled around Australia in a LandRover for 3 months myself, I have a bit of an idea what life on the road entails.  I quiz them about how they planned for such an extensive trip and learn they are really only planning a few countries ahead at a time and getting visas as they go, whenever they reach a capital city. 

They plan to travel up the east coast of Africa, then drive to Asia, ship their car to Australia and explore New Zealand as well before driving from the bottom of South America all the way to Alaska and finally heading back to Europe!  Ah..I wonder if I will be doing this myself one day. 

In the morning, I find them drinking coffee from the Wedgewood coffee cups they carry and we joke about the little luxuries of life while on the road.  They tell me that as long as they have fresh coffee in the morning and a beer at night, the world can throw anything at them in between.  I wish them all the best as we exchange details and I invite them to visit me in Australia when they get there in about 3 years time!  I do hope we meet again because I would love to hear more about the adventures this couple will have in the next few years.  Bon Voyage, Jayne and David, you are living life to the fullest!

JPEGS 2010 09 14 Cheetah Poo-1

  Real birthdays are not annual affairs.  Real birthdays are the days when we have a new birth.  ~Ralph Parlette

No comments: