20 November 2010

Chilling Out at the Red Sea

Our drive to Sawa Camp, our home on the Red Sea is one of the shorter journeys of this trip.  The Red Sea extends all the way from the Suez Canal to Sudan and it is the spot where Moses is reputed to have parted the waters, allowing the early Christians to pass through. 

We arrive in time for a lovely lunch and check into our beach cabins.  Set at the foot of the mountains, overlooking the ocean it is a gorgeous spot.  Once again, I wish we were here to stay for awhile but we have just one night here. 

JPEGS 2010 11 18 Red Sea-4

It is one of the few spots in the Middle East where anything goes in terms of attire for females.  We change into bathers and sarongs and go for a dip in the ocean.  The water is cold at first but we soon warm up under the warm afternoon sun shining brightly down on us. 

JPEGS 2010 11 18 Red Sea

The Red Sea offers snorkelling and diving opportunities and Yvonne, goes off for a dive.  JPEGS 2010 11 18 Red Sea-21She has the boat to herself and comes back to report she saw sea horses!

It is such a lovely relaxing place and just the break we needed after the exhaustion of Cairo and the exertion of Mt Sinai!

An Egyptian woman, heavily veiled approaches us to sell bracelets.  She has a tray full of coloured thread which she

JPEGS 2010 11 18 Red Sea-14

weaves instantly into brilliantly coloured bracelets for us. 

Perhaps because she wants us to buy her wares, she lets us snap away with our cameras, which is great. We buy bracelets in exchange for photos!

JPEGS 2010 11 18 Red Sea-29

I chill out before dinner, enjoying the quiet evening at camp, listening to the waves breaking and writing my blog.  I realise that of all the places I’ve been on my journey, I have been the most relaxed at the ocean and plan to include a lot more times like this on any future travels. 

Dinner is quite special too.  Lanterns and candles have been lit on the beach and long tables laid out for us between the lanterns.  Our food comes accompanied with a little candle on our plate that is protected from the wind with onion peel. 

As we tuck into seafood, we all acknowledge this is a special place.  We play cards late into the night and return to our beach huts at midnight just as the generators are shutting down and Red Sea Camp goes to bed.  I drift off to sleep being lulled by the sounds of gently breaking waves.  Perfect!

(Great photo of me taken by my friend Robyn, as the sun set).

JPEGS 2010 11 18 Red Sea-28

 Two roads diverged in a wood,
and I- I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
-Robert Frost

1 comment:

Lucy Congrave said...

Looks amazing! Although its good to be home, part of me wishes I could have joined you for this part of the trip too! I will be following you all though through your blog and hope you have an amazing time! Say Hi to the others from me,
Lucy xxx