25 November 2010

Drama at Petra Inn

I was just completing my post about Petra when I heard the yells which appeared to be coming from reception.  The shouts indicated that perhaps a couple of people might be having a massive blow up.  The commotion was getting worse and then I heard what I thought at the time sounded like a gun shot. 

“Yikes, what on earth was going on?”. 

Various answers to that question including that  our hotel might be getting held up at gun point pass through my mind.  I am on the ground floor, just a few doors away from reception, so I figured the best option might be to lie low and stay in my room. 

The noise continues….there is a loud thump..

Whatever it is, there is a massive shin dig going on outside my door. Unable to contain my curiosity any longer, I am just about to open the door, when I hear Robyn, one of my fellow travellers, who is in the corridor just outside my door shout, “get your passport and get out of here..it’s a fire”!

I open the door right away and am instantly PB230002 confronted by a wall of swirling smoke just outside my room.  I can’t see more than a foot in front of my face and realise this could be serious.  I hadn’t seen any sign of flames though and I try to stay calm and grab a few essentials such as my laptop, my cameras, my hard drives, my IPOD, my passports before I put on some shoes on and open the door, ready to make a bolt for it. 

The smoke is thicker than ever and I can’t even see the room door across the hall.  I remember everything I have learnt from the numerous fire drills I have been in and crouch low as I try to work my way to the entrance.  My eyes sting and I hope I am not walking toward a fire and am really grateful when I get to the front door and walk out to fresh air. 

Most of my fellow travellers are congregated outside.  Some of them are barefoot and others have run out with towels held to their faces.  Most have not grabbed anything much except their passports and are worried they might lose months of photos, left behind in their haste to get out.  They are quite amused that even at a time of danger I have made sure I had my technology with me.  Anything in my big rucksack can be replaced.  My photos however are irreplaceable and I wasn’t getting out without them! 

There is more excitement as one of the travellers who has just run out faints.  She recovers within minutes though and someone gives her a drink.  Two toddlers are brought out wrapped in towels but they are kicking and screaming so we know they are OK. 

Then, the fire alarm goes off, about 10 minutes after we have run out.  I wonder what took them so long to raise the alarm.  The fire engine and ambulance arrive another 5 minutes or so later.  Response times could certainly be better here in Wadi Musa. 

Rumours about the origins of the fire are now swirling as fast and thick as the smoke had been just minutes before.  The initial story that the fire started in the kitchen is replaced by one that claims it was started by an occupant who had been smoking in their room.  This had caused the carpet to catch on fire accidently, (so the story goes) engulfing the passageway in smoke.  We were never given an official explanation, so am not quite sure of its origin. 

However, it isn’t long before it is all brought under control, the smoke clears and we are allowed back inside.  There isn’t any damage and because the rooms don’t have sprinklers installed, none of our stuff is damaged.

We are a little shaken but realise it was a lucky escape.  We put on some warm clothes and go out in search of traditional Bedouin food, feeling that perhaps what we really needed was a stiff drink!

PB230006 Man cannot remake himself without suffering, for he is both the marble and the sculptor.  ~Dr. Alexis Carrel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, dramas! So glad you were all OK in the end. Take care! (well, I see you did, of your stuff anyway!)